Tuesday 27 October 2015

I was so mortified when this happened on the weekend..



I knew this day would come. I just never thought that it would happen so soon. 
One of my children was 'that' child at a party. 

So, here we are at a friends house, celebrating a birthday with a relaxed Sunday evening Aussie barbecue. There is another family with four kids there that we had never met before as well, all the parents are having a chat on the back porch and the mobile kids are running around having a ball. 
Next minute, Mr X has punched a child twice his height and age in the face. 
Yep, not ideal.. But we made him apologise and hoped it was just excitement and being overwhelmed so we could move on.
 A few minutes later, he hits another child. 
By this stage I was praying that the ground would open up and swallow me to save me from my embarrassment and shame. The other parents are being nice, smiling and shrugging it off as 'kids being kids' to try and comfort me. 
At this point I should add, that all the other children are playing beautifully together without incident.
After a stint in time out and an apology, Mr X was warned that another incident would get him a ticket out of the party and straight into bed. 
A mere ten minutes later a little girl could be seen crying and running away from a stick-wielding Mr X who had just hit her in the face. 
My wingman swooped in and took our little boxing boy home to bed. 

I was absolutely mortified and spent the rest of the party choking back tears and apologising over and over.

Note - Mr X is going through a stage where he expresses his frustration through violence. 
We have been talking to him about it and been very strict with our discipline so he knows very well that this is not an OK way to deal with your emotions. This is the first time he has been violent towards someone outside of the family and I trust that with our consistent and calm discipline, he will grow out of it soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment